- title Software Management
Navigation: Up to Applications
Ubuntu includes some powerful tools for managing software. Here are some of those tools and terminology:
- Installing Software - Find out how to install software.
- |Removing Software - Find out how to remove software.
- Software Packaging Formats - Linux programs come packaged in a number of different ways. This is an overview of them.
- Repositories increase the number of packages available to install on your system.
- Managing Repositories in Ubuntu
- Managing Repositories in Kubuntu
- |Switching To Ubuntu - Learn how Ubuntu compares to your current operating system.
- | Windows - How installing software works in Ubuntu compared to Microsoft Windows
- | Mac OSX - How installing software works in Ubuntu compared to Apple OSX
On The Command Line
- Using apt-get - How to use apt-get for package management.
- Using Aptitude - How to use aptitude for package management.
- Commandline Package Management Tools - Overview of the various command line package management tools.
- Commandline Repository Management Tools - Managing Repositories from the command line.
- Tasksel - Packages for various tasks can be installed using tasksel.
- Configuration - Manage configuration files after a new Ubuntu release installation.
- http://appnr.com/ - Web-based package browser. (Currently works only in Firefox)
- Installing .run Packages - Installing software packages (typically games) which use .run installer files.
- Reinstalling same packages - How to install the same packages after a reinstallation of your system.